Creating all-natural, nutrient-rich compost for your lawn and garden at home is a cinch!
· Start your pile or compost bin in a dry, shady spot near a water source
· Add a blend of “greens” and “browns,” such as grass clippings and mulched leaves
· Moisten the compost with water and keep moist at all times
· Add food waste, such as fruits, veggies, egg shells, coffee grounds and more
· Turn the compost pile weekly with a shovel or pitchfork
· Compost is ready to use once it is dark and rich in color
Here’s more from the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on creating your own compost pile at home, and learn all about compost from the US Composting Council.